Over spring break, I was surfing online resources, searching for ideas and suggestions on how to plan and be more purposeful with the Mathematical Standards, which I have realized this year just how key these are to the success of CCSS. As I looked through Inside Mathematics , I ran across some PD training materials. I watched clips from Cathy Humphrey’s class. The Kite Task, an investigation of quadrilateral properties from seemed like a great activity to ease back on day 1 when we returned.
The task in short is for a kite company, who wishes to launch a new line of kites consisting of all types of qudrilaterals. The students are asked to devise a plan for how to cut/assemble the braces for each type of kite. They are only working with the diagonals in the investigation.
Rather than running copies and cutting out, I used my paper cutter to cut 1″ strips one color card-stock lengthwise and 1″strips width wise of a different collor (I didn’t realize how helpful this would be until later on). I created a strip to use as a guide on each strip, placed 7 holes equally spaced. Odd amount is best since they will be looking at bisectors some.
Each student would receive 2 of one color and 1 of another color.
Here are some snapshots of possible braces built.
For anyone who is having trouble visualizing, I’ve added some “sides” to the diagonals:
As we began the 2nd day of class, a few groups needed just a bit more time to wrap up their investigation. Using fist to five, I asked how many they still needed to determine. Most groups only 2 or 3, so I set the timer to keep us on track. I love days like this to walk around and just listen.
As I was questioning one of the groups, trying to ensure an absent student was on track, I asked the group’s members to “fill an order” – pick 2 sticks and construct the diagonals needed to brace…kite that was a rhombus, then another shape, etc to quiz them for understanding. AHA! Why couldn’t I use this as a formative assessment for the entire class?!?! Perfect.
When all groups had completed and debriefed a bit, I placed orders for kites and the students had to build the braces and pop up to show me for a quick assessment.
These pics were actually a geometrically defined kite. If you look closely, you can see a few wrong repsonses. To address these, I used extra sets of sticks to build a correct example and an incorrect example. To ask for suggestions why one was and the other was not correct. Why was one example actually a rhombus, allowing them to really compare/contrast the two figures.
Another great mistake I saw…when asked to create a rectangle, the top sketch is what I saw from about 6 students. Of course, my initial thought was, they dont understand the diagonals must be congruent.
Then I saw a student trace their shape in the air…second sketch. I literally saw their thinking. They had not used the sticks as diagonals. Clarified and corrected!
A post-it note quiz today, I built the braces, they had to tell me the quadrilateral name. A stop-light self assess, revealed most were confident, of the 10 yellows, 7 got all parts correct. The others missed 1, 2 or 3. All green students had each part correct.
We did a little speed dating to use properties to solve problems. As I listened to their approaches, most everyone seemed on track. Overall, I was very pleased with the results of the lesson.